I enjoy providing programs for schools, libraries, and community organizations.
School-wide author visits include multiple sessions that draw from my writing experience in keeping North Carolina stories in a variety of ways. Also, I can work with a class or a grade level as well as an entire school. (More under Workshops.)
Smaller-group sessions have many possibilities:
- A poetry workshop with a class or grade
- A look at NC stories with 4th grade
- A session on NC mountain folklore (drawing from Jack Tales and Orville Hicks
- A session on writing stories (and/or poems) from photographs (The Picture Man and Addie Clawson: Appalachian Mail Carrier a starters)
- A 4th-grade talk on drawing from NC resources, with examples from Mama’s Wreaths and Dresses, Dreams and Beadwood Leaves.
- A look at strong women. March is Women’s History Month; Addie Clawson features a noteworthy NC woman– a role model of courage and determination in the face of odds.
- A discussion on stories that look at anchoring self esteem (Addie Clawson, Mama’s Wreaths, Dresses, Dreams and Beadwood Leaves)
Teachers can include literature, language, writing, social studies, and even math and science in lessons with my books. (Study Guides under Downloads.)
Contact me to discuss programs.